Rental Property Injuries

Public Liability accidents from Rental Property Injuries may arise either from the action of the others present, defective premises, or defective equipment. Our public liability lawyers can handle insurance and injury compensation claims for a wide range of accidents that occur on residential rental properties.

Do you have a claim?

Check to see if you are entitled to an insurance payout or compensation. If you have a question, please get in touch with our team.

Do you have a potential Rental Property Accident injury claim?

Make an enquiry

What to do if you have been injured on a Rental Property?

The owners of rental properties also owe a duty to a tenant and visitors to take reasonable care for their safety who foreseeably enter onto the property.

If an owner or property manager is aware of a defect – e.g. if it is disclosed in an entry condition report or is otherwise notified – which could reasonably foreseeable result in an injury, they can be liable for the injury that results if the hazard is not rectified.

In both cases, there must, of course, have been a reasonable time interval that would have allowed the owner or property manager to have completed the repairs.

Because of immunities that apply under the Civil Liability Act 2003 and for “obvious risks” of “dangerous recreational activities”, the conduct of these claims requires specific legal expertise.

We guarantee Rental Property Injuries claims are conducted by lawyers with expertise in analysing the cause of the accident, the legal defences available to the council and in understanding the particular injuries that result.

Our lawyers ensure your Rental Property Injuries claim will include loss of income, pain & suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, loss of future earning capacity, paid and unpaid care, expenses and the other financial losses that apply.

An expert team member is available to meet with you at our Brisbane Head Office – close by to major courts and insurers as well as medical and safety expert consultants – or at our Princess Alexandra Hospital office or at our Browns Plains Medical Precinct satellite office.

Call or email today to get expert advice from the Rental Property Injuries expert at Carter Capner Law.


Schedule your free initial consultation

At our initial consultation, we can give you more information about the Rental Property Injuries claim process and discuss the viability of an insurance or compensation claim. We will also confirm your eligibility for no win no fee terms to pursue your case.


Investigation & gathering evidence

We will investigate and gather evidence while you recover from your Rental Property Injuries. This includes collecting medical treatment records prior to the accident and subsequent to it.

At the same time, we will also collect employment and income records so that complete before and after pictures can be painted.


Get Independent Medical Specialists' opinions

Once we obtain all relevant medical records, including reports from your treating doctors, we will get an independent medical expert opinion as to the extent of your injury.

From those reports, we will formulate how the Rental Property Injuries have impacted you and your family at work and at home.


Lodge your claim

If the investigation results satisfactorily, we will then lodge your insurance Rental Property Injuries claim where possible and, if the circumstances allow, a compensation claim for the physical and psychological deficits you have sustained as a result of the accident.


Attendance at informal settlement meeting

We will formulate your damages demand if applicable and appoint an out-of-court meeting to negotiate the resolution of your Rental Property Injuries claim settlement.


Claim settlement or court proceedings?

Statistically, more than 97% of compensation claims are settled out of court. In many cases, the claim is resolved successfully during the informal settlement meeting, and you will receive the compensation to which you are entitled.

If your Rental Property Injuries claim has not been resolved at this stage, we will file proceedings in court to help you get the compensation to which you are entitled according to the law.

What happens if I've been injured on a Rental property?

Rental Property owners and property managers will be liable in compensation to an injured tenant or another person if they have failed to exercise reasonable care.

What’s my chance of a successful claim?

Every situation is different. In a Rental Property Injuries claim, we need to consider carefully:

  • how the accident occurred;
  • whether any element of the design or construction fell below reasonably acceptable standards;
  • how and when the owner or property manager was made aware of the defect;
  • whether there had been a reasonable period of time within which the defect or to have been rectified; and many other things.

How much insurance or compensation will I receive for a Rental Property Accident injury?

Assuming the owner or property manager can be held liable for the Rental Property Injuries, your damages will depend on whether the injury has had a significant effect on your quality of life (work, psychological, physical).

The greater the extent of the injury and its effect on income-earning capacity, the greater the compensation entitlement.

How can I increase my prospects of success?

It is crucial that you:

  • Report the accident as well as your injury to the proper authorities immediately. Make sure that you make a list of all the relevant details immediately, so you don’t forget any crucial details later on.
  • Take pictures, if possible, of your injuries, the cause of your injuries, and or the scene of the accident.
  • Record the details of any of the witnesses to the accident.
  • Seek appropriate medical attention for your injuries. If the injury is serious, it is crucial that you see a medical professional as soon as possible in order to assess and report the injuries for evidence.
  • Keep all receipts of any medical or out-of-expenses that relate to the accident.

Engaging an experienced public liability lawyer who specialises in Rental Property Injuries claims can make the process easier, more efficient and more likely successful for you.

What are the fees for Rental Property Accident claims?

It is essential to always speak to an expert compensation lawyer about your Rental Property Injuries situation. Your financial position should not prevent you from seeking legal advice in regard to an injury received through no fault of your own.

Medical bills and taking time off work or, even worse, potentially not being able to return to work can be costly. Carter Capner Law offers a ‘no win, no fee’ service in many cases.

We service all of Australia in relation to Rental Property Accident insurance and compensation claims.

Types of injuries that can occur in Rental Property Accidents?

Rental Property Injuries may arise either from the action of the other participants, defective premises, or defective equipment.


Soft tissue injury

Disc injury



Emotional trauma

Psychiatric disability


Eye injuries

Hearing loss

Back injuries

Wrist injury

Head injuries

Knee injuries

Neck injuries

Shoulder injuries

Broken bones

Breaks and dislocations

The CCL method

Our Rental Property Injuries lawyer will quickly review the circumstances of your case to determine your prospects of a successful personal injury claim. And once we have approved your case the claim process can be promptly started following the CCL method


Assemble the initial information you are able to provide

Proper case preparation demands meticulous attention to detail. That’s why right from the start, we collect all the facts and continuously verify them with you and other sources. Constant updates to your comprehensive statement will ensure everyone – you, us, medical specialists and barristers – stay precisely on the same page.


Prepare initiating Claim Notice.

Once sufficient facts have been collected and the identity of the at-fault party confirmed, and initial Claim Notice can be completed in a way that persuasively asserts the basis and extent of your compensation request.


Keep collecting the facts.

Diligent claim preparation requires a comprehensive understanding of your medical income and employment histories. We will obtain records from accident related treatment provided as well as from health professionals who have treated you for any prior conditions. Employment and income records asked also be collected and diligently examined .


Medical investigation of injury.

The extent of accident related injury must be independently verified by medical experts. Because compensation is paid for the permanent effects from an injury, specialist medical assessment is deferred until 9 – 12 months post injury. We’ll arrange examinations with appropriate specialists and the insurer of the at-fault party is entitled also to have you examined by its specialists.



Once all information has been collected and medical specialist reports obtained, we will carefully formulate the “damages” components of your claim demand. The CCL Method requires that every component – general damages, lost wages, expenses you have incurred, the value of past and future domestic care and the value of loss of future earning capacity – is based on authoritative evidence.



After the insurer has considered your damages ask, a settlement conference is arranged to attempt to negotiate a resolution. Although informal, the success of the conference depends on the extent of preparation that has gone before it. Offers will be exchanged and if the insurer is being reasonable, the conference offers a good opportunity to finalise the claim.


Settlement not reached: heading to court

If you are unable to reach an agreement within 60 days after the conference, a Claim and Statement of Claim must be filed in court in relation to your accident. The defendant may then file a Defence and the court process then continues until the dispute is listed for a trial where witnesses are called to give oral evidence and a judge makes a final determination.

What expenses does Carter Capner Law cover for you under its Rental Property accident compensation No-win No-fee terms?

Carter Capner Law's No-Win No-Fee terms affords fairness to those seeking compensation for personal injury including loss of income and future loss of income earning capacity. No-Win No-Fee - sometimes called "no-win, no-charge" and "no-win no-pay," allows legal representation to a level equivalent to that of the insurance company that will be resisting your payout. Essentially No-Win No-Fee terms provide that fees and case expenses are only payable when the claim is finalised and only if it is successful.

  • Court Filing Fees

  • Medical specialist consultation & report fees

  • Medical records collection fees

  • Expert report fees

  • Claim investigation

  • Barristers

    We will secure the services of a barrister who will also offer No-Win No-Fee terms

  • Document production

  • Police Report Fees

  • Government agency search fees

  • Freight & courier

  • Office charges

Get in touch with us

Online Now

Welcome to Carter Capner Law! I'm here to assist with enquiries and gather details. How can I help today?