Written by Peter CarterUpdated on July 25, 2020
Did you know that using your mobile phone while driving increases your chance of crashing by 400%? Here are some other little known facts about driving while using a mobile phone:
- When you’re distracted by your phone your reaction time and break time is slower while you’re driving, resulting in shorter stopping distances with the car in front.
- Over 75% of Queenslanders use their mobile phones illegally whilst driving.
- Texting is the most popular behaviour while driving, with 50% of drivers’ texting at traffic lights.
- 25% of drivers check their email, social media and internet while waiting at traffic lights.
- Driver distraction caused 19 fatalities and 1,342 hospitalised casualties in Queensland.
- A driver’s response time while texting is similar to a driver with a BAC between 0.07-0.10.
So next time you’re in the car why not switch your phone to silent or flight mode and put it in the glove box away from you, so you’re not tempted to check it and respond to friends or family.
Also if you desperately need to use your phone then make sure to pull over and park safely with the engine off, using your phone even at a red light is illegal and you could be handed a big fine.
For more facts and figures click here.