Written by Peter CarterAugust 1, 2017
More times than not, car accidents are a result of someone’s carelessness or a moment of distraction.
Most motor vehicle accidents can be avoided by taking care and paying attention on the road. Here are some alarming road safety facts to keep in mind while driving:
- At least 50 million people are injured or disabled by road traffic crashes internationally every year
- Half of those injured or killed in crashes are vulnerable road users such as pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists
- Saturday is the most common day to have an accident
- The majority of car accidents occur within 5km of the driver’s home
- The most deadly type of accidents are vehicle rollovers
- Using a mobile phone while driving increases your chance of crashing by 400%
- People between 16 and 20 face the highest chance of being injured or killed in an accident
- Wearing a seatbelt reduces the risk of death in an accident by 61%
- At least 20% of crashes are caused by fatigued drivers falling asleep at the wheel
If you’re involved in an accident, it’s important to know what to do next. For information call 1300 529 529 or go to our Car Accident Lawyers page.