Written by Peter CarterUpdated on July 25, 2020
Being involved in a car accident is never a pleasant experience. Even minor accidents can leave you extremely rattled and you may find it difficult to calm down. Here’s what to do once you get a hold of yourself:
- Move somewhere safe and out of the path of oncoming traffic.
- Assess yourself and others for injuries. Dial 000 to notify authorities of the crash if you think there is significant property damage or someone is injured.
- Exchange necessary details with the other driver/s, including names, phone numbers, addresses, registration details, license numbers, and insurance company details.
- Take care in signing tow truck authorisations.
- Take photos with your phone of the accident scene, damage to your car and other cars, and registration numbers
- Contact your insurer, and remember not to admit fault.
- Decide on a repairer in consultation with your insurer.
- Gather the information and speak to a lawyer about whether accident or disability insurance cover applies.
- If in doubt call Carter Capner on 1300 LAW LAW